Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 20:19:17 -0600
From: "Rupert Johns" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
List-Info: Oz-Envirolink opt-in Mailing List
Subject: [Oz-Envirolink] Are you Green?
** Another message from the OZ-ENVIROLINK maillist.
** You are subscribed as: email@example.com
** Manage your subscription on the list home page at:
Do you suffer from any of the following symptoms?
- feelings of anger when someone else is parked in "your spot" on the street outside your house
- you sometimes/always drive to the corner shop
- the video shop you belong to is not the closest one but the one with good parking
- getting your car serviced creates worrying logistical problems
- you organise your child's birthday party at a non-local venue
- you circle around the block/carpark to get the closest spot
- your invitations don't include bus/train access information
- "transport considerations" when selecting a shop, restaurant or evening class means whether it's easy to park
- you don't try and pick the most local washing machine repair man
- you describe distance in terms of "so many minutes drive" away.
If you suffer from any of these symptoms then you are afflicted with car addiction. This condition can range in severity from mild to severe, but even mild bouts can seriously affect your judgement.
As a consequence, this illness should be declared and taken into consideration when offering any opinion on: sustainability, resource use, recycling, land use planning issues including urban consolidation, development and location of cycleways, speed limits and traffic calming issues, development controls, parking restrictions and enforcement, water restrictions, water pollution, air pollution, construction of children's bicycle education facilities, wilderness areas (including access to and use of), and which cinema/café/pub your friends will go to.